Sunday, January 2, 2011

Matched by Allie Condie

Jennifer: I heard about this book on NPR. One evening right before Christmas, as I was driving back home from a shopping trip, someone recommended this as his top book for teenagers this year. I told Kathryn about it and she was interested enough to use a Christmas gift card to buy the book. She encouraged me to read it and I'm thrilled that she did.

She read it non-stop (in about a day) then I did exactly the same thing. I cannot stop thinking about this story. I've even dreamed about it - that's pretty unusual for me.

It's a haunting story of a future society where everything is controlled, including who you love. In many ways, it's a classic love triangle where the protagonist really does love two young men in two different ways. She's struggling not only with trying to figure out whether she can make herself happy with the "safe" choice but also with whether she's going to fight back against this oppressive (but seemingly very nice) government.

Here's the website with more info about the book and the sequel that will be coming out (thank goodness!!) in Fall 2011.

Kathryn: This is a very good book. I really think that all the characters are very well developed. I would recommend this book for mainly girls ages 11-111!!! When I read this I could not put the book down, so if I were you and I bought this book I would start reading on a day that isn't busy because you won't want to stop!!!! Be sure to check out the sequel which is coming out in fall of 2011 ( I know I don't think I can wait that long either!!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment