Sunday, January 2, 2011

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Jennifer: I ended up with this book because it happened to be available on PaperbackSwap.com (my new favorite way to pick up books) and the title rang a bell for me...as if it was something I'd always intended to read.

Life of Pi is impossible to put down, but the part of the story that had me practically jumping up and down in excitement is the very beginning, in which Pi falls in love with spiritually and is simultaneously a practicing Christian, Muslim, and Hindi. I completely understood his point of view and his eagerness to find God by going down every possible spiritual path.

The majority of the book centers around his odyssey on a life raft in the middle of the Pacific Ocean with a Bengal Tiger. I stayed up until 2 a.m. on Christmas Eve finishing this book but I can't decide whether or not I like the ending.

In truth, I think I'm just disappointed that the book is fiction - it's written as if it wasn't - but of course it is. For some reason, that makes me sigh.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite part was the ending, when the reader is forced to choose which version of the story is real. This really resonated with me in how I choose to tell my own story. Personally, in both my reading and writing, I like the one with the animals.

    ReplyDelete