Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Jenn: It's been too, too long since we've posted on this blog - but not because we haven't been reading. Rather, I suppose it's because we couldn't be bothered to blog before picking up our next books. I simply had to blog about The Hunger Games, however, because Kathryn had been begging me to read it for months. She'd read it during her sixth grade language arts class and simply adored it. She's been waiting with bated breath for the movie to come out. I avoided reading it for a very long time because the whole concept was so upsetting to me. In case you're unfamiliar with the premise, The Hunger Games takes place in a future dystopia where the government (not the U.S. government - but some distorted totalitarian regime) shows its total control over the districts by forcing each district to choose one boy and one girl to be sent to the "games" to fight to the death. Appalling, obviously, but even more appalling because so much of the book's discussion of media manipulation of the public smacks of a certain disturbing familiarity.

I will say that I'm glad I read it. It's an amazing read - I'm not at all surprised it's so popular. I especially appreciate the way it doesn't simplify love. The main character, Katniss, is torn between her feelings for two boys and isn't sure how she really feels. Until I'm able to write about love with such unflinching truth, I won't really be an author - but it seems to me it takes a lot of courage to write in that manner. Kudos to Ms. Collins. I've already started the sequel  - Catching Fire.

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to do a Girl's Night Out at Alamo for this one, won't I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wondering what you thought of the book. I downloaded the sample on Kindle and couldn't even finish that much, but another reader I really respect (also named Jennifer) adores it. Maybe I should try again. But the beginning totally turned me off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, so it's four months later, and I finally finished it and loved it. My son's English class is doing it, so he got it on Audible. It took a while, until Katniss volunteers as tribute, but then I was hooked. I just bought the next two on my Kindle to take to Colorado with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea!! Yes. Excellent, excellent book.

    ReplyDelete